TENNIS REHAB AND PERFORMANCE SERVICES IN CANTON CT
Did you know….
Did you know that BodyFit Physical Therapy & BodyFitTennis offers a TENNIS specific RacquetFit Physical Assessment?
I am certified in performing the RacquetFit Physical Assessment to determine where your physical deficits are as it
relates to an efficient and powerful serve.
My certification provides me with the tools to assess your mobility, stabilkity, strength and power as it pertains to the most efficient and effective tennis serve and swing…and a swing that will help you hit the ball more accurate and stronger, and keep you playing for years to come.
- Is it the raquet?
- The strings, the grip, the head size? Maybe
- Is it your footwork?
- Your forearm/wrist technique? Maybe
- But how do you know it ‘s not your overhead mobility, your trunk mobility, your core strength, or your balance?
You don’t unless we test it!
I can determine what physical issues may be holding you back.
ISSUES THAT COME UP:
*Poor mobility in the neck, shoulders, hands, thoracic spine, hips and ankles all play a part in the tennis swing. Having any barriers to movement puts the breaks on and stops the body moving into its full range. When one region doesn’t move well, then the next region in the chain gets compromised. Your ability generate the proper rotation is shortened, balance is sacrificed, and then there is a loss of consistency and power. A targeted mobility and consistent program can help.
POOR STRENGTH & CORE STABILIZATION
*The lumbar spine was not designed to be a source of mobility. And when mobility is limited in other regions of the body, the body then borrows mobility from the lumbar spine, leading to pain and injury. An understanding of this issue and the proper focus on strengthening of the core region to include the abdominals, transverse/obliques, spine muscles, pelvic floor and GLUTES can all help create the stability and strength your body needs during the tennis serve and swing to generate effective and injury-free accurate power.
LOSS OF BALANCE
*Remember that complex, fast and powerful series of movements you go through to serve the ball? Well where would all that be if you did not have BALANCE? Can you imagine serving the tennis ball on roller skates? Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but poor balance is a problem for many tennis players, leading to less weight shifting and grounding the legs to generate power. When you are focused on hitting the ball, you lose the ability to utilize your visual system to help your body stay balanced. Then you add the centripetal forces of the tennis serve and you have little to rely on to stay balanced and grounded. So you won’t prepare the lower body, set your legs up for power, and stay very flat footed to stay balance. Having the abilty to utilize the ground forces can help you develop a powerful tennis serve.
Some of my tennis players cannot stand longer than 5 seconds on one foot with their eyes closed!
What a shame because this can usually be fixed.
WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU:
- I offer a comprehensive movement analysis and physical therapy evaluation that looks at you from head to toe.
- I assess injuries, both chronic and new and determine how we are able to do to fix those issues.
- I offer the multi-point RacquetFit Physical Assessment, assessing approximately 16 regions of your body that when limited can negatively impract your ability to get in position and generate an accurate and powerful tennis serve.
- I take a look at your footwear and determine if your shoes are helping or hurting you.
- We discuss your prior and current racquest and the potential for further intervdention from a trained professional to assist with modifications.
Don’t go it alone!
You invest so much time and energy into your sport.
It’s fun and it gets you the exercise and comradery you enjoy!
You can get help!
Let me help you!
If you would like to book a call or have a free consultation click below:
Cindy at BodyFit Physical Therapy