Aquatic Therapy can help you rehabilitate faster when other land based therapy treatments have failed or when you have not been cleared to participate in weight bearing exercise after injury.
BodyFiT Physical Therapy in Avon CT can assist you in developing an aquatic exercise program. The physical therapist will travel to your country club, health fitness club pool, or your own personal pool to work with you one-on-one to develop your own aquatic therapy program.
Trained by a nationally recognized aquatic therapy professional, our physical therapist has developed aquatic programs for a wide variety of orthopedic injuries. The aquatic therapy environment can be an asset to expediting your rehabilitation process and/or finding a solution to your chronic pain. If you have access to a pool, we can help you take advantage of it’s healing properties!
The Aquatic Therapy Environment can reduce the weight on our bodies from the earth’s gravity. The water’s buoyancy, tactile
stimulation and warmth can help with the following:
- Increase joint flexibility.
- Improve balance and coordination.
- Build strength and endurance.
- Enhance aerobic condition and tolerance to activity on land.
- Assist with proper gait training when it’s too painful or difficult to walk on land.
- And an added benefit is that being in the water can reduce stress and promote relaxation.
POTENTIAL BENEFITS OF AQUATIC THERAPY
- Water can provide resistance which can be used to strengthen muscles.
- The buoyancy allows for flotation and creates alternative positioning and reduction of gravity on injured limbs and the spine.
- Water creates supportive pressure on the body to allow greater tolerance to walking and improved balance, reducing the risk of falling that can limit exercise progression on land.
- Aquatic therapy can begin sooner in the rehabilitation process. When full weight bearing is not allowed on land, the pool can offer a reduced weight bearing environment to exercise and walk while the joints and muscles heal.
CONDITIONS THAT CAN BE HELPED BY AQUATIC THERAPY
- Arthroscopic surgery recovery
- Post-operative spine surgery
- Fracture repair of Lower Extremities
- Balance disorders
- Chronic pain
- Joint reconstruction surgery recovery
- Joint replacement surgery recovery
- Lower back pain
- Orthopedic injuries
- Sprains and strains
AQUATIC THERAPY IS NOT APPROPRIATE IN THE FOLLOWING SITUATIONS:
- High fever
- Open wounds
- Client is currently pregnant and experiencing complications
- Chlorine or bromine allergy
- Serious fear of water
If you have any questions about how aquatic therapy may help you, please contact us for more information!